Monday 28 December 2009

Monday 28 December 2009

Today is my first day at work!


It takes me back to my first day at school, at university, at other jobs. Unlike those remembered days, this is one of great lightness, excitement, joy and purpose. I don’t feel stressed in the least. I know my "boss" though she would not like to be called that, I know the building that will be my office, I know the subject matter. Ideal conditions.


I have been in India nearly 2 weeks and I am only just officially starting my 9-5 job! I haven’t exactly been sitting back relaxing but if I were to say those other days were "work", that would be stretching reality.


Babu very kindly drops me off - he says I'll have difficulty getting an auto-rickshaw at this time of the morning. I raise my eyebrows as if to say, "How am I going to manage in future?" I say nothing but watch once again the route we take and try to memorise good landmarks. I scribble in my notebook the words for "turn right", "turn left", "here", "stop" and "go". And the destination to ask for. Schools are excellent landmarks and auto drivers tend to know them.


Before I know it I arrive at Cheru Resmi Annex, near Vellankanni Jct, Valiathura. This is the nerve centre of the Cheru Resmi Society programmes. Sr. Mercy's office is here. She welcomes me warmly and shows me to a small sideroom - the teachers' room - where I am to work this week while the school is closed. There won't be much "traffic". There is no other office to use.


The first item on my agenda is to help Sr. Mercy translate the Memorandum of Association of the Society into English. Unbeknownst to Sr. Mercy, when she first took over the job, there is an incorrect English translation in use, which she has been sending to all donors up till this moment. We need to rectify this administrative error as soon as possible. The document registered with the District Registrar is the Malayalam version, so we must make the English match the Malayalam. This occupies my whole working day.


I sit beside Sr. Mercy as she translates into pidgin English exactly what it says and I write it down to make it sound like real English. We resort to paper and pencil when the power cuts out shortly after 10 am. The fans don’t work, it’s hot and of course none of the computers work. We carry on until 3 pm stopping briefly for lunch, brought over by a neighbour.


Sr. Mercy talks to me about her garden out the back where she grows several kinds of long green beans, gourds, and many culinary herbs. The flowers in pots, shrubs and trees all look happy and well watered. I am getting ideas for Babu's garden all the time! At 2 pm, we listen to the English radio news, as she says we need to know what is happening out there. I admire her as it’s more than I find time to do at home.


At 3 pm she sends me on my way - she has a parents' meeting. I have wilted completely in the heat and am fighting off a powerful wave of sleep. Nevertheless, I muster all my courage and flag down a few autos till I find one to take me home for a reasonable sum (Rs. 30 = 50p)! I say boldly "Kamaleswaram School" and they nod in agreement or rather they do that amazing side shake of the head that can mean "yes" or "no" or anything at all.


Back home Shoba has arrived from up country, the house is a total mess as four electricians and air conditioning installers mill about with wires and drills and chairs etc. Not restful at all and I am craving a lie down! By 7 pm they are all gone and then we start cleaning the "new" downstairs A/C room, that is to be mine and Shoba's. Nothing has been cleaned in some months and there is thick soot and grime on everything. I am manic and do inside cupboards and door lintels - even wipe the dust off the strip lighting on the wall. The floor gets done three times, the water is so black! When it's finished, I am glad to know this place is now clean - I can truly relax. A couple of trips to bring all my stuff from upstairs downstairs and by 9 pm I can put my feet up. What a day!


To top it off, Babu arrives back from the airport with a new volunteer, Alexis Molho. I am almost too tired to meet him but make an effort over dinner. I don't have to try too hard as he is beautifully brought up and asks everyone round the table very kindly what they do and where they come from. He is kind and thoughtful, has obviously travelled extensively and is worldly in the best possible way. He is the same age as my son Richard and I see some traits of similarity between this charming lad and my two boys.


No question of staying up late to chat but crash out early and enjoy the blissful cool air conditioning.

No comments:

Post a Comment