Thursday 17 December 2009

SAFE ARRIVAL 17 Dec 2009

Just to let you know I have arrived safely in Trivandrum.

Journey was long - in two chunks via Dubai. I met some fascinating people along the way. A lovely mother and daughter pair travelling to Ghana. I fetched up having so many coincidental similarities with the Mum, it was eerie. We chatted for three hours during the lie over and became firm friends.

I never would have imagined Dubai's new terminal 3 being so full of life between 1 and 4 am! Heaving with travellers and all shops and restaurants doing a roaring trade!

Sleep on board was not easy - very crowded flights and much too distracting number of films.

Emirates managed to mislay my baggage due to the connection, so exit from terminal was delayed. When I finally emerged,
I was (thankfully) met at the airport by BABU my coordinator over here waving his GVP signboard. It is HOT! Close to 30 degrees and humid. But after the snow at Gatwick airport I was smiling!

A quick trip home and I was settled into this concrete two storey, functional rented building. It reminds me in so many ways of old style Hong Kong housing (St Anne's Church rectory for one). The style is simple and well worn. Fans in every ceiling and very basic metal sleeping cots. Très missionnaire!

I have had time to crash out for a couple of hours which was very welcome. Then, after the heat of the day wore off a little Babu took me round the town in his car - a humble little Suzuki Maruti cruising through the choatic traffic (he is unflappable) doing "errands". Street scene is a lot like Bangkok and Manila rolled into one.

Errands constsed of - Registering me at the Police station, changing my money at a Thomas Cook (lousy rate at 73.50 Rs to the pound), making preliminary overtures to HSBC bank re opening an account, getting a new SIM card for my mobile phone and of course picking up some spare knickers and a top while I await the arrival of my precious case!!

Tonight I am bushed. Trying to keep up with emails and prepare documents for clear and present bureaucracy!

Am well in body and soul. Namaste. Mad

----------------------------------

All my new postal and contact details are below. Take note.

Madeleine Wheare
TC 49/127 Deepam Kamaleswaram
Manacaud Post
Trivandrum
Kerala State 695 009
INDIA

Indian Mobile: +91 99 4653 5092
Email: mad@wheare.org

No comments:

Post a Comment