Wednesday 17 February 2010

Mon Tues Weds 15-16-17 Feb

Three days to go before my departure on holiday to Sri Lanka. Much to do!

Work as usual and on the way there is plenty to distract.












Yet another Hindu temple is holding its  festival and decorations are going up hardly 50 yards away from those put up by the nearby temple last week (and taken down)!

Such a contrast to the drab dusty street!

At work there is a calm atmosphere, we are reviewing the work that has been done and what needs to be done, but we are in a bubble of time.

Sister and I are both reflecting on the journey we have shared together, the friendship we have forged and are both resigned that other forces have been at work and we have not made the progress we had hoped for. She is more teary eyed than I as, understandably, she is left "in the stew" and I am moving on. We talk of possible future plans and volunteers who are in the pipe line but nothing is certain.

I make a point of visiting the embroidery workshop and buying some samples to take home as gifts. Sr. Celine is delighted to show me the humble surroundings (R) where such beautiful work is packaged.

She has been responsible for many of the intricate designs and the colour schemes and training the ladies in the fine work. She shares with me her sadness that this form of work is becoming outmoded now and not so much in demand.










I meet with the prime movers amongst the ladies who do a lot of the organisation and supervision work within the charity and many of them make little speeches. All this in Malayalam, their language which I have not yet mastered but can now comprehend sufficiently.

I am deeply touched by their show of acceptance and appreciation for the work I have done back stage. though not terribly visible they have understood that my efforts have strengthened Sr. Mercy and given her hope. I promise them I will not forget them and will come back some day. I hesitate to say more.

My packing is going well. I am packing for two separate purposes: one bag to take to Sri Lanka and the other to take home to the UK. It will stay behind under my bed till I return from SL. I want my stuff out of the way in case another volunteer arrives and needs to move into my space. Also I need to know the "bad news" - whether I can get all my stuff into the one case! Yikes!  I can foresee a problem on that front, but it will have to wait!

The other volunteers: Cara, Poppy and Lucy are keen to give me a send off so on my final night we decide to go for a quick "drink" at the Indian Coffee House on Shangamukan beach. No alcohol, but a variety of fruit juices and coffees.

Babu sadly cannot be with us as he has a meeting, but Usha his trainee coordinator is happy to accompany us and offers to take her scooter. It is decided that I am to ride there and back with her.

Needless to say  - I am in heaven!

No comments:

Post a Comment