Sunday 7 February 2010

Sun 7 February

Sunday Mass in Thope then coffee with sisters. I am looking for Sr. Annie, but they tell me she is not doing well at all and has gone to St Bernarda's Nursing Home at Shangamukham Jct. 

The instructions to get there are far from clear and I don't feel confident walking there all by myself and possibly getting lost under the beating sun,  so Sr. Celine (R) offers to come with me. 

As we turn into the street, a passing well wisher offers us a ride in his Ambassador! Now that would never have happened if I had been on my own.

When we get to the Nursing Home run by the Holy Cross sisters, it's a busy place with lots of families visiting other patients. The doctor is doing his rounds and, as we arrive, he is with Annie.  Sr. Sally (above L) who is on "Annie" duty chats with us while we wait. 

Annie caught pneumonia a few months ago and since then, has simply not got better. She is a small wiry lady in her seventies with twinkly eyes, a cheeky sense of humour and an excellent command of English. 

We have shared many conversations about her extensive work in the Belgian Congo (now DRC) and as provincial for the whole of India and today we talk about these things again. I tell her that I have come across her name on various official documents at Cheru Resmi and she flushes with pleasure. She has obviously been quite the dynamo in her time.

Her memory is still very sharp and she reminds me that I once promised her that I would exchange 5 Euros into rupees for her. Knowing what I do about her state of health, I deal with this right away - she is delighted and chuckles, but says she hasn't got the euros on her. Never mind, we all agree that Sr. Sally can take care of that for her. 

In spite of her present look of frailty and powerlessness, Annie has obviously made her mark within the extended community. She has a constant flow of visitors; not the least of which an attractive guy called Rennie, who looks vaguely familiar. 

He comes in with a motorcycle helmet and proceeds to chat and discuss things with Annie in a relaxed comfortable way. She is loving the attention and opens up the chat to include us all.
I comment that the chap looks familiar and he admits to being the male vocalist in the church. I instantly recognise him. We talk about the music and what a good PA system the church has. He grins with delight and says that this is his handiwork and he is glad I think it is effective. The room is full of lively chat and banter and Annie is beaming and radiant. But she is getting tired and needs her meds. It's time for us to go.

Rennie goes off on his bike to find us an auto and returns to see that the two sisters and I hop in safely. I am secretly wishing he would offer me a ride on his bike instead.... But it doesn't happen! Maybe I am a bit too old for him! Sheesh!

When I reach home, I am met by Valsa, my stitching lady. We discuss the churidar she made for me which I am wearing (see turquoise number above) and she proposes a few minor adjustments. I accept and then show her lots more work. Materials for two more churidars and two sari blouses.  I am certainly in full swing here.


She smiles and says everything is possible and will be ready before next weekend. I am delighted that this loop can be closed satisfactorily before my departure.


And now - what on earth am I going to do with the rest of my day? Well  - I'll let you guess. 


Yes you're right! I am off to Uday Samudra again - this time  by myself. 


I spend an almost identical blissful afternoon of sunbathing, reading by the pool and swimming.

I leave even later than yesterday and night falls before I get home.


This is the last evening with the two Toms, so we all hang out together watching movies until nearly 2 am. Babu appears at the door and it's time for them to go to the airport. Ungodly hour for a flight (4.30 am).

We are all quite sad to see them go. We give them both lots of hugs and they blush at the attention. 

As they drive off, Lucy remarks that she doesn't know how Babu copes with all the farewells. He does this time and again all year along and must feel quite emotionally wrung out . What a thoughtful comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment