Saturday 23 January 2010

Saturday 23 Jan

Pop in for my Ayvdc treatment today at 8.30 am fully intending to slope off to the pool for the afternoon. I am quite excited about this and the new treatments which start today Pizhichil and Shirodhara.


PIZHICHIL is a massage using huge quantities (4 litres) of hot herbal oil sluiced over and rubbed rhythmically into every part of the body except the head. It is particularly useful for joint aches and nervous disorders.


The time I spend with the therapists and the trainee doctor is hilarious. We chat about marriages, husbands, children and then about Indian ringtones. I ask Dr. Reva to help me get an Indian themed ringtone onto my phone. She has me listen to all the music she has loaded up on her phone and the others have a happy time singing along with the songs. We go through her full selection of Malayalam songs, then Tamil songs, then Hindi songs. Good grief how to choose!? I finally select three and she bluetooths them over from her phone to my phone! The wonders of technology!


Then she asks me to sing a song - I burst out laughing! Here I am covered in oil and lying on my back and she wants to hear my voice! .... I ask her which tune she likes and she says the theme song from Titanic. What next!? She has a music video of Celine Dion on her phone with the words underneath! Weirder and weirder! I tell her I can't see the words without my specs so she fishes them out of my bag.

In between treatments, she gets a sheet of paper and we start jotting them down. Then I belt it out for her wrapped in an oily sheet and perched on the side of the panchakarma bed! We all fall about laughing! Strange doings in that clinic!


Treatments over, they all ask me what I am going to do the rest of the day. So I smugly tell them I am going swimming..... At this, their collective jaws drop and they all say NO NO NO! You can't do that! The doctor concurs insisting that swimming is strictly forbidden during the whole duration of Ayurvedic treatment - in case I catch cold! Gadzooks! Two more weeks without swimming! Help! I really have a hard time absorbing this information! I was SO looking forward to a proper swim today. "Crestfallen" is a good word to describe me at this moment!


Home with my tail between my legs and curl up on my bed feeling quite sorry for myself. Babu cook has made me some special basmati rice for a change and I show my appreciation. But it isn't enough to lift my spirits. I watch the DVD of Anastasia to lose track of time. It works!


I ask Babu if we can go out to dinner tonight somewhere in town as I am in dire need of a cheer up! I need some different kinds of food and more protein, I feel I am wasting away. He is happy to oblige and we fetch up at the Hotel Mascot buffet which is excellent. Good atmosphere, lovey staff and an interesting clientele including two dozen Japanese IT trainees living in the hotel, whom we strike up a conversation with, and finally two mega star vocalists from the Hindi classical music scene........ We didn't realise that till they appeared on the front page the next morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment