Thursday 14 January 2010

Thursday 14 Jan

Today has got to be better than yesterday - an all time low. Babu and I are both burnt out chasing after Sr. Mercy's problems.

I start the day more slowly. I even find the road works on the way "amusing".

These are on the main road to the airport and the road is regularly tied up in knots, long trenches dug out of each side and traffic jammed both ways in the middle - not a pretty sight.


Thank goodness I am not doing the driving and use my time productively by taking some photos. Like this one of the local butcher's. Uggh!



When I finally get to work, I discuss things with Mercy and explore with her how she could delegate more. I focus on one or two things and she does the same. Some things fall into place. I get some photocopies of the "famous" minute book and get on with drawing up a de facto membership list. The certificated translation finally arrives with the correct date in it after 10 days of sloppiness and phaphing! An anti-climax after yesterday but still reassuring to know it's there!


I meet with Sr. Thressiamma and we go through the outgoing salaries - again! There are oddities and these need to be accounted for and the statements revised.


I meet with the part-time book-keeeper and explain the innovations we are planning at the CRC offices. I ask her if she wants to do more hours. She is keen. We still need an accountant but only one day a week should do it. That'll keep costs down and the book-keeper can brief the accountant which will save everyone's time.


Babu comes to take me out to lunch with Amja, (met her in Cochin a few weeks ago) who is in town briefly for a business meeting. She is out of sorts in her life and needs to talk. Babu takes us to an old haunt of his - the Kohinoor - where the fish curry is wonderful. We chat and cheer Amja up, then take her to the station. I need to get back to the office.

The rest of the day is easier. I don't get too worked up about things.


My perspective on life takes an amazing reality check when I witness this queue of poor people waiting to see a doctor.





I manage to take some quiet ME time in the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment