Tuesday 26 January 2010

Tuesday 26 Jan

Republic day - A national holiday

In India, every year on 26 January, a grand parade is held in New Delhi. Different regiments of the Army, Navy and Air Force march past. The President of India who is Commander-in-chief of the armed forces takes the salute. There are floats depicting the various cultures of the States and regions of the country. This is the day that marks the transition of India from a British Dominion to a Republic in 1950.


In Kerala, today, it's business as usual. Everyone is in school, at work, shops are open. I am at CRC with Sr. Mercy and she suggests we watch part of the parade on the telly. I am game. It's amazing to watch everyone in foggy, chilly Delhi wrapped up in their winter clothes while we sweat away down South.

The day is leisurely and pleasant, I write a few letters and prepare some lists. Ajitha brings us our lunch and Sr M and I chat.

Once again I slip away at 2.30 for my treatments. This routine is good and corresponds quite well to my energy levels. After lunch, I usually feel quite sleepy so this way I get to lie down and be massaged during my "down" time as it were.

Late afternoon, Babu has arranged for the pastor's sister Valsa - who works in a stitching shop - to come and see what she can do to fix my useless new churidars. She doesn't have much English but I think she has understood what I want. I feel relieved that something positive is happening about these.


I feel a little more myself this evening with more energy. The day has not been such a strain.

No comments:

Post a Comment