Tuesday 5 January 2010

Tues 5 January 2010

A slow start to the day with time to add another post to my blog - I seem to be on a roll and catching up the severe backlog. I am actually waiting to hear from "Mr. Hari" our lawyer's clerk, about the certification of the English translation. They are taking their time with this and I was supposed to collect the document on my way to work. By 10 am it is not happening so I cut my losses and get over to Cheru Resmi.


As I arrive, Sr. Mercy and a young man are in the front porch waiting for me. Sr. Mercy tells me she is greatly disappointed in Djio, a promising student who has done most of his schooling at a scholarship boarding school in Bangalore and now, after graduation, has dropped out and is working loading planes at the airport. She wants me to "turn him around". I really want to tell these people that there are limits to my abilities! But how.


I talk to Djio and get him to talk. He is a keen sportsman with an interest in English and History. He is visibly fit and healthy and has started training in "Fire Safety" BUT also got a job at the airport to provide a little money. The snag is this is cutting into his class time! He has decided to drop out and has wasted his year. He lives at home with his parents, and doesn't actually NEED the money but it must be a status thing (I imagine).


I ask him what he wants and needs. He wants to compete but doesn't know how to get accepted by the right league. He says he needs to be part of the league to get the support of a "sports trainer". So I do a little NLP. I ask him to stand up and step outside of himself and look at "Djio" sitting in the chair and take on the role of trainer and tell "Djio" what he needs to do. He is not short of ideas of what he needs and we make a note of them.


He seems genuinely pleased with the process and says he is coming back tomorrow for the second instalment. I have also asked him to write a story in English so that I can encourage his English as well.


I touch base with Sr Mercy and we discuss what is on the agenda for today. I have been told I will be teaching a class at 11.30 - no briefing at all about what I will be teaching or for how long and how this is to fit into their syllabus. Amazing stuff! It transpires it is a group of a dozen trainee computer teachers (18 to 26) who have a period of "Spoken English" normally given by Sr. Mercy! I cover some questions and answers and this is lively and they all pay attention.


Back to the nerve centre and receive my next job - a letter to one of the funding agencies. I need more information so pump Sr. Mercy for the details. A quick lunch is all we need and then Sr. Mercy is off to two meetings.


I make my way home and find the whole downstairs in turmoil. Babu's room is being spring-cleaned? I drop my business bag and decide to take a walk outside on the road (not normally an inviting prospect) and discover what shops there are nearby. On the whole they don't have the kind of shop that stock anything I need (stationery and toiletries). I do find a kitchen equipment shop and get a few useful plastic jugs and hooks. Next I buy some fruit from a corner shop. Not particularly appetising but I need more in my diet. Finally I stop at a garden centre - am followed around inch by inch by an elderly retainer. I am curious to see what plants they have in bloom at this time and compare with what I know is in Babu's garden. I feel "observed" but a still enjoying the experience until a younger salesman comes over to me and asks me what I am doing and scolds the old man behind me. the atmosphere is charged and I don't linger. Won't be going back there in a hurry.


Upon my return, I discuss the issue of waste with Babu the cook, I ask him if it is possible to split the paper and the plastic/glass/tins into two boxes and to keep the bag etc for the compost, leaving only the fatty, meaty and fishy remains to be put out for the crows. He seems in agreement and we work together to sort out two of the main "boxes". A tiny step for mankind! But will it last?


At my request, Babu has booked me a Scooty lesson somewhere in West Fort at the Jai Durga driving school. He springs it on me unexpectedly. It is in half an hour.


This adventure is funny and happy. I have never driven such a vehicle before and make this clear. My teacher Jai Shri has enough English and is not phased by me. In fact she seems to have full of confidence in me. Within 25 minutes I am driving confidently up and down the back lane she uses as a practice run. I am to have two lessons there and on the third day we'll go out into the traffic.

I am still wondering whether I really DO need a scooty or not. I have 5 weeks left out of the original 8? This decision will come later.

Home in time to meet up with Manju next door. She and her husband Unni are emigrating to Canada - Vancouver area of BC. She wants to talk to me to practice her English and to get an idea of the Canadian lifestyle. I am actually really tired and after 30 minutes call it a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment