Sunday 10 January 2010

Sunday 10 January

Taking it easy this Sunday morning in Alleppey - truly enjoying being away from the hectic pace of life in Trivandrum. I have left my computer there and am enjoying having the time to read - the guide book, of course, but also, a fascinating book which is exercising my mind "The Argumentative Indian" by Amartya Sen.




The two Toms - Cheria "little" Tom ( R) and Valia "big" Tom (lower down) - get up late. They are still suffering from jet lag, I imagine. When I suggest we go to the beach for a quick swim before check out time they leap from their beds and we are on our way. It has rained this morning and the air is quite cool and damp. This is a refreshing change.


The beach is truly lovely, a wide white expanse of lovely sand - pretty clean actually - a pair of lifeguards and clusters of people around. Men start to gather near where I am about to enter the sea so I leave my bag safely next to a white skinned lady reading her book - and leap into the sea fully dressed in my churidar. The water is warm and blissfully wavey. I am finally having a swim, after more than three weeks here! The water is very salty and the sensation of buoyancy is tremendous. More local men gather on the shore to watch and stare. When I climb out of the sea my outfit is pretty figure-hugging and they must be gratified. Frankly I don't care! I am covered in cloth so have observed conventions.


Our time on the beach is pretty limited and we need to get back to shower, change and check out. We clamber into a rickshaw all soaking wet but euphoric. The driver doesn't seem to mind.

After a quick lunch in town we make our way to the station and hope for an earlier train than we had originally anticipated. The weather is cloudy and it looks like more rain is on its way.



We are in luck! Within minutes, a train pulls in: the Nizamuddin, running 7 hours late. The train we were supposed to catch is 6 hours delayed. We climb onto a sleeper car and try to find a suitable corner to set up camp. The carriages are filthy with rubbish and food strewn everywhere, but we are hardy travellers now so sweep the seats clean and get on with it.

Reading passes the time and when our carriage empties we all lie down and even manage to doze off.


Alexis leaves the train at Kollam - he is on a mission to meet up with Dr. Ajith in Kallamballam and must change to a bus at that point.



We remaining three trundle down into Trivandrum, catch a rickshaw and are home before we know it. Babu greets us at the door with a big smile. It is good to be home!

No comments:

Post a Comment